Thursday, September 24, 2009

Spicy almond-crusted sole with heirloom tomato salsa


As previously stated, one of the biggest challenges to being a primal college student is the price of healthy food. Luckily enough, one of the two grocery stores in Gunnison happens to be a City Market, so they regularly have meat products discounted on "manager's special" (which is basically stuff that they have to sell within a day or two). Sometimes it's crap (i.e. pre-seasoned with crap that is inevitably not primal), but sometimes I get lucky
I picked up a package of sole fillets relatively cheaply a couple days ago, and decided to try something new with them.
I made a "breading" that consisted of almond meal and spices: cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and thyme, and breaded the little pieces of fish by dipping them into a beaten egg and then in the almond meal mixture. Just like making normal breaded stuff, only this "breading" is actually primal!

While baking the fish (for about 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit -- but I have a gas oven so it takes longer -- it might not take as much time in a regular oven), I made some homemade salsa to go with the fish.

To make the salsa, I used about 1/4 cup of chopped red onion, some chopped cilantro, and 4 heirloom tomatoes (they come in various sizes so you might need more or less depending on which varieties/colors you choose. I picked ones that were different colors). Pretty easy!

I will say that I got the tomatoes at the farmers' market so they were a little more expensive (I do think its important to support local farms), but if you're pressed for cash you could just use cheap regular tomatoes from the grocery store.

Almond meal is not super cheap, but this recipe does not use that much of it ... maybe about 1/4-1/3 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment