Monday, December 14, 2009

Preparing For Adventure

As the semester comes to an end, I have two major things on my mind:
1. Finals
2. Getting ready to go to Ecuador and climb a 20,000ft mountain

I've previously discussed the apparent conundrum of eating healthy primal food while embarking on some sort of epic backcountry adventure, and I believe that this upcoming expedition will be the ultimate test of just how difficult that is.
For one, Ecuador is a developing country and foodborne illness is a real threat there, so the food I will be able to buy there will be somewhat limited. I will be largely dependent on nonperishable food that I am going to bring from the US.

So far, I have:
A GIANT bag of mixed nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, pecans)
Kind bars
Larabars
Summer sausage
Beef jerky

I will also probably make a bag of trail mix containing nuts, dark chocolate chips, and some sort of dried fruit (maybe cranberries and/or goji berries, if I can find the latter).

Also, I'd like to mention that I intend to experience as much of Ecuador's culture as possible -- and yes, this is going to mean some non-primal food indulgences. I figure this may be the only time in my life that I go there, so I'm going to take advantage of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment