Monday, May 17, 2010

Fajita Salad

If Mexican cuisine (and by cuisine, I mean food, beer, and tequila) didn't exist, I would probably be about 5 pounds lighter. Oh well, it does, and it's my biggest vice. When out to dinner with friends/family, I have no problem avoiding bread, rice, pasta, etc. But Mexican food is next to impossible to resist. I'll just admit it straight up: I can't say no to a plate of sizzling fajitas and a Dos Equis. Enchiladas, chili rellenos, burritos, chips and salsa, and margaritas (if they're real margaritas, not made with some HFCS-laden mix) have similar effects. Of course, this statement assumes all of the aforementioned temptations are made with real ingredients (i.e. not from Taco Bell).

So, tonight, I decided to try and make one of my beloved Mexican dishes a little bit healthier. And this is what I came up with:




I started by sauteeing about 1/2 of a green pepper (cut into thin strips) and about 2 slices worth of onion in butter over medium heat, seasoning them with chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper.

While this was cooking, I made some guacamole...
1 mashed avocado
1/8 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 small tomato, finely chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
Juice of 1/4 lime
A dollop of sour cream (yes, a dollop is an official form of quantitative measurement)

After the onions and peppers were done, I set them aside, and began cutting a ~10oz steak into strips. I remembered I had bacon fat in the refrigerator, so I used this to cook the steak in. I used the same seasoning combination as I did on the onions/peppers, but added some chopped cilantro in as well.

Served with romaine, sour cream, and the guacamole that I had just made ... downright gourmet.

1 comment:

  1. This made my mouth water and I am full from dinner still. I will be making this very soon.

    ReplyDelete