Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Salad with Baked Cod & Zesty Cilantro Dressing

Thoroughly disgusted by the prevalent use of canola oil and soybean oil in store-bought salad dressings, I decided I wanted to learn how to make my own salad dressings with healthy ingredients. Vinaigrettes are easy and straightforward enough to make, but what about when you want something a little creamier? Greek yogurt and coconut milk are two good options, though I suppose sour cream could work too.

To be safe (as in, avoid making something totally repulsive), I started with a simple combination, but in the future I may be more adventurous.

For ~2 servings of dressing (two salads' worth), I used:

1/3c Greek yogurt
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
Juice of 1.5 limes
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp hot red pepper flakes

And I drizzled it on top this salad:



2-3 cups romaine, torn into small pieces
3/4 of an avocado, chopped
2 thin slices purple onion
1 hard-boiled egg, chopped into small pieces
1 3-4oz baked cod filet, flaked
1/4 of a red bell pepper, roasted and sliced

No comments:

Post a Comment