Monday, June 20, 2011

Smoky Red Cabbage

It's summer, and we're paleo, so we like to have barbecues and grill large pieces of dead animals, right? Well, me, not so much, because there isn't a grill at the house where I live, and it really likes to rain in Portland, a lot, but hey, it's whatever. Of course, being paleo creates a need for barbecue-esque side dishes that replace the traditional macaroni salad and sugar-laden mixtures of fruit, jello, and cool-whip.

I actually didn't make this for a barbecue, I just made it because I had red cabbage to use, but it seems like it would go pretty good with a plate full of grilled meat. I ate it with curried shrimp, because that was what I had, but hey, it's whatever! (That phrase is pretty much the theme of this summer)



Ingredients:

One head of red cabbage

Half a red onion
2 T bacon fat (or butter, but bacon fat adds to the barbecue-esque flavor)
2-3 cups water
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp liquid smoke (I didn't actually measure, I'm just guessing on this)
1 T Worcestershire sauce
Directions:
Either slice or finely chop red onion.
In a large stainless steel saucepan, melt bacon fat over medium heat. Add chopped onion, and saute for about 2-3 minutes. While the onion is cooking, slice red cabbage into fine strips, like this:


Add the cabbage and water to the pan. Turn heat to medium/low and simmer, covered, about ten minutes, until cabbage begins to soften. Add salt, pepper, liquid smoke, and Worcestershire sauce, and simmer for 10-15 minutes to allow some of the liquid to cook off.

No comments:

Post a Comment